Sunday, August 24, 2014

Where Are You Going?


In the great expanses of life, where are you going?  Where do you plan to be in the future?  What do you want from your life, your career, your bank account?  Don't lie, we all know you want more.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and searching about what is best for me, my family, my career, and yes, my bank account.  But in the state I live in, the economy of this country, and the flat out working world, it is very difficult to get ahead, to make more money, and to basically thrive.  I don't know how people here are doing it.

But, I don't want to get political so I'm going to make this a bit more personal.  I'm thinking about adding a second job to my already ridiculously full schedule.  But not one that will eat up much more time away from home.  I am thinking about contributing to my family financially more successfully, eventually having some more time at home with my family, and did I mention this?  Having a bit more money in my pocket.

It's very difficult for working mothers to find a balance and be there for their children.  I am gone about 40 hours a week from my family.  This includes time in the office and commute time.  Thankfully I work one day a week from home so that cuts the commute time and lessens the hours that day I am away from my family.  This country makes it very difficult for mother's to find a better balance, to work more from inside the home, and to be with family.  It's all about work, work, work here and to better your chances, you have to work within an office environment, put in long hours, and prove that you want a career.

I have worked these past fourteen years full time without the push, without the drive, and without the passion to climb higher and higher.  I never wanted the big time job.  I wanted a family and a home.  But I do enjoy working.  I have done so much research and there aren't very many jobs that allow you to work from home and that pay decently.  It's sad these don't exist.

The internet is saturated with mom sites, mom blogs, and sites there to assist mother's in finding suitable jobs so they can still contribute to their family financially.  Believe me, I've searched and looked and there are helpful articles and sites but still very difficult to find a job that is worth it.

Now let's be clear - I am not leaving my current job.  I have great flexibility, great benefits, and I enjoy the work.  Who just doesn't want a little extra cash to help you out?

I'm still trying to figure that out and I may have an opportunity in the works where I can maintain my current job, do as much or as a little with the new opportunity, and potentially have more time with my family (which I realize seems like an oxymoron when I'm thinking about an additional job).  It is all still very new and in the starting stages but I'm hopeful.  I'm also scared.  I don't take risks but the day in which I spoke with someone who does what I'm thinking about doing, my daily calendar said "Your Inner Bitch Knows: "Success is never guaranteed.  She also knows that we are guaranteed to fail if we don't even try.  Take a chance on something that matters to you."  I'm not one for "signs" and deeper meaning but it was just kind of prolific at that particular moment.  And I have never had this feeling or motivation to really go for it with something this strongly in a long time.  It's also a sort of thing I never would have ever imagined myself doing because it was always something that had a stigma and point of annoyance with me.  Go figure.

I am probably a little insane to take on another responsibility when I just finished school but the potential benefits here may just outweigh this.

Or I am just insane.

But I will let you know and keep you posted.

Life is hard, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment