Friday, December 5, 2014

Seasonal Reflection



Do you know what’s happened since last I wrote? A lot.

Do you know what I’ve been doing since I last wrote? A lot.

Do you know what’s going on with me and my family? A lot.

Do you see a theme?

Yeah, it’s been a little crazy between holidays, putting our townhouse on the market, rearing a two year old, tethering a dog, feeding a 36 year old, busting it out at my day job, and starting my new business.

But who isn’t busy? I’m preaching to the choir, I know.

But do you want to know what’s really been biting my brain lately? I was told at day care that J is the only child there that consistently says “Thank you.” This makes my chest swell with pride and makes my heart joyful. But it also disturbs me with the thoughts of are parents REALLY not teaching their children to be polite and respectful? M and I always make sure J is saying his please and thank yous when they are necessary. It’s actually pretty automatic. “Say thank you, Jackson.” How hard is that? And now, we don’t always need to remind him. Parents are the best teachers and examples for their children. How are children not learning these things? I know there is a generation gap out there where respect is gone and the sense of entitlement is raging. We need to all get back to the basic of manners and child rearing and teach our children etiquette, manners, respect, and how to be a good person.

I see kids and even parents out there expecting everything to be handed to them because the world owes them. The world owes us nothing. Everyone wants a bigger house, bigger toys, better cars, a pool, outrageous vacations, and piles of money. What ever happened with being grateful and happy with what you have? Once upon a time food, clothing, and a warm house was enough. Not today. Everyone expects diamonds and gold. Get real. If you want that, go out and work for it. Stop expecting it all to be handed to you. Get a job, bust your butt, and help yourself. While you’re at, go outside and play in the dirt and drink the hose water.

As Christmas approaches, we do not go overboard with gifts for J. We want him to understand the spirit and meaning of the holiday and that tons of gifts are not the norm. I don’t ever want him thinking he gets more and more and more. That’s not life. You don’t always get what you want, when you want, or how much you want. The spirit of the season is peace, giving, light, life, and love. And really, what more is needed?


From our homes to yours, have a blessed Christmas and remember the reason for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment